The Zoning Department enforces county and state codes by reviewing construction and site plans, and subdivision and boundary-line adjustments. The Zoning Administrator meets with applicants to interpret ordinances, issues zoning permits, and ensures compliance with all applicable codes, laws, rules, regulations, standards, policies, and procedures as well as initiate any actions necessary to correct deviations or violations.
2019 Filing Deadlines: Cutoff dates for submission of materials to be placed on Planning Commission meeting agenda.
Zoning Ordinance Text Amendments
Ordinances, Maps and Forms (Updated 1/29/19)
Zoning Maps - County Zoning Maps
Zoning Ordinance 2019 - Complete Zoning Ordinance
- ZO Code Table of Contents
- Section 1 - Authority, Purpose, and Intent
- Section 2 - General Description of Zoning Districts, Map
- Section 3 - Zoning District Regulations - permitted uses, setbacks, etc.
- Section 4 - General regulations pertaining to lot configuration, signs, parking, drainage,
- Section 5 - Special Use Permit regulations
- Section 6 - Site Plan requirements
- Section 7 - Board of Zoning Appeals
- Section 8 - Zoning Amendments
- Section 9 - Definitions
- Section 10 - Administration Provisions
Subdivision Ordinance 2019 - Complete Subdivision Ordinance
- Subdivision Ordinance Table of Contents
- Section 1 - Purpose, Title, & General Provisions
- Section 2 - Definitions
- Section 3 - Administration
- Section 4 - Procedures for Subdivision Approval
- Section 5 - Environmental Inventory & Impact Statement
- Section 6 - Consumer Disclosure Statements
- Section 7 - Details of Plat Requirements
- Section 8 - Design Requirements includes private access easements
- Section 9 - General Regulations
- Section 10 - Special Regulations - cluster subd., flood plains, boundary line adjustments
- Section 11 - Improvements & Bonds
- Section 12 - Effectual Clauses
- Land Development Application - General Application form for subdivisions, sites plans, etc.
- Home Occupation Permit - Home Business application. Any soil disturbance acitivity over 10,000 sq. ft. requires a permit.
- Land Disturbance Permit - Any soil disturbance acitivity over 10,000 sq. ft. requires a permit. Contact the Building Department.
- Minor Land Disturbance Permit - Any soil disturbance activity under 10,000 sq. ft. requires a permit. Contact the Building Department.
- Agreement in Lieu of - Soil disturbance activity for construction of single family dwelling requires a permit. Contact the Building Department.
- Sign Permit - No signs maybe erected without a sign permit.
- Zoning Permit - All structures requires zoning permit.
- Certificate of Appropriateness - Required if building or altering structures in the White Post or Millwood Historic District.
- Fee Schedule - Cost of doing business.
- Setback in AOC, FOC and Rural Residential Zoning Districts - Building setback requirements.
- Overview of Clarke County Zoning Regulations - Describes Clarke's unique Zoning including Sliding Scale.
- Code of Virginia - Link to State regulations.